Personal informationPersonal information consists of any information, records or opinions, true or untrue, identifying an individual.
Sensitive informationSensitive information, being a form of personal information, includes information about an individual’s health, racial or ethnic origin, political, religious or philosophical opinions or beliefs, membership or affiliation with a political association, trade association or trade union, sexual preferences or practices, or criminal record and can include:
- name, date of birth, gender;
- contact details such as address, phone, fax and email;
- medical and/ or employment records
- Details of property
- Insurance details
- financial institution account details like your bank account number ( if we are making a payment to your bank account)
Why proclaim collects the personal and sensitive informationProclaim may collect the personal and sensitive information to enable us to effectively manage a claim or customer complaint. Personal and sensitive information enables Proclaim to contact claimants or their agents on behalf of our clients to investigate each claim effectively and efficiently resolve the matter in the best interests of all parties.
How we collectWe may collect personal information about you and other individuals in various ways including:
- over the phone,
- over the internet, including via our website or online forms or emails;
- in writing, including via hard copy forms.
From whom we collectWe may collect such information directly from you or through others, including from:
- Our clients – including insurance companies, their underwriting agents as well as companies for whom we manage claims and customer complaints
- Customers of our clients including insurance brokers and other entities who submit claims to us on behalf of policyholders or other parties
- Our service providers – for example, lawyers, adjusters, medical experts, assessors and other parties who we work with to resolve claims
- Parties representing claimants including plaintiff lawyers.
- External parties such as government agencies or statutory authorities
How proclaim uses this informationPeriodically, Proclaim will disclose personal and sensitive information to other organisations when we believe it is necessary to assist us, and them, in providing effective service. Recipients of such personal and sensitive information will typically be insurers, health workers, investigators, lawyers, and loss adjusters. If you would not like your personal or sensitive information passed onto any of the above listed recipients, please contact us on 03 9660 5200. We note that in the event that you decide not to provide Proclaim with the required information, it may make it impossible for us to provide you with appropriate service. Typically, Proclaim uses personal and sensitive information to effectively and efficiently manage claims and assess risk. In doing so, we may use personal or sensitive information to:
- investigate and assess claims
- contact claimants and clients about any matters relating to a claim
- effectively answer inquiries and /or process any approved payments
- report or obtain information from regulatory authorities (i.e. the Health Insurance Commission, Centrelink or the Department of Health and Aged Care)
- undertake internal operational practices (i.e. administration, accounting and updating information technology systems)
- practice effective risk management and prevent fraud